Saving for teen dreams
Most teenagers have big dreams. Some dream of owning a car, traveling or starting a business. Many plan on attending college. All those dreams require cash. So how do you turn that dream into reality? Be a dream achiever and start saving your money.
Think $1.67 a day!
If you’re 13 years old and you save $50 every month until you’re 18, you’ll have $3,000. You might think, “I can’t save that much a month!” Oh, yes you can! Think about it in smaller amounts.
Fifty dollars a month is about $12.50 a week, or $1.67 a day. An easy way to save $1.67 a day is to skip the cafeteria and take your own lunch to school. If you don’t get an allowance, you can save some of your birthday and holiday money. You also can do odd jobs for your family, friends, and neighbors on weekends and during your summer vacation. If $50 a month is too much to manage, set a smaller goal. The main idea is to get started and to be consistent. You can raise your goal later.
Here are more ways to help you reach your savings goal:
- Keep your eye on your goal. To keep you motivated, find a picture that illustrates your dream and put it where you’ll see it every day.
- Drop all your spare quarters and dimes into a special container. Coins will add up quickly.
- Control your impulse spending. When tempted to buy something, ask yourself if that purchase is more important than your dream.
- Leave your money at home. Carry only the cash you’ll need for the day so you won’t be tempted to spend it all.
- Open a savings account at White Sands FCU and earn interest.Your money will earn more money when you keep it in a savings account.
With a little self-control and some patience, you’ll soon be living your dream!
(575) 647-4500 or
Hours of Operation:
Monday thru Friday, 8 am-5 pm
P.O. Box 99
Las Cruces, NM 88004
Routing & Transit # 312276470
Federally Insured by NCUA
Your savings federally insured to at least $250,000 and backed by the full faith and credit of the U.S. Government. National Credit Union Administration, a U.S. Government Agency.
Equal Housing Lender
We do business in accordance with the Federal Fair Housing Law and the Equal Credit Opportunity Act.
White Sands Federal Credit Union is committed to providing a website that is accessible to the widest possible audience in accordance with the WCAG 2.0 standards and guidelines. We are actively working to increase accessibility and usability of our website to everyone. If you are using a screen reader or other assistive technology and are encountering problems using this website, please contact us at 575-647-4500 or 1-800-658-9933. Please provide the location of the inaccessible information. All products and services available on this website are available at all White Sands Credit Union branch locations.