First Checking for Teens
First Checking for teens with Visa® Check card
White Sands FCU wants to help parents introduce their teenage children to the importance of personal financial management with First Checking – a free checking account just for teens age 13 -17. It is designed to encourage financial literacy and money-management skills. First Checking is ideal for introducing basic financial management skills, yet full-featured enough to carry the account holder through to college and into the workplace with financial tools like check-writing privileges, a Visa® Check Card and CU Online banking. At age 18, the First Checking will convert to an EZ checking. Parents can use First Checking to teach everyday financial management by:
- Promoting sound financial behaviors by depositing a child’s allowance on the same schedule as the parent’s paycheck, thereby encouraging prudent budgeting and spending until the next “payday.”
- Encouraging your teen to deposit money earned from part-time jobs as well as birthday or holiday gift money.
- Encouraging monitoring of accounts through free online banking services.
- Most important, First Checking is a joint account between parent and child, so parents are always in control. Contact us for more information on how you can help your teen gain important money management skills.
Checking Account Features:
- Unlimited monthly check writing
- ATM access
- Overdraft Protection
- Visa Check Card
- CU Online
- Bill Pay
- Direct Deposit
*First Checking requires co-ownership of parent or guardian
Claim Your Youth
Financial education for teens
Claim Your Youth is a teen specific program that is designed for young members aged 13-18. Learning to manage finances is very important, so White Sands Federal Credit Union is pleased to offer a program where young adults are given the opportunity to manage their own money, develop budgeting skills and so much more, in a real world setting.
Federally Insured by NCUA
Your savings federally insured to at least $250,000 and backed by the full faith and credit of the U.S. Government. National Credit Union Administration, a U.S. Government Agency.
Equal Housing Lender
We do business in accordance with the Federal Fair Housing Law and the Equal Credit Opportunity Act.
White Sands Federal Credit Union is committed to providing a website that is accessible to the widest possible audience in accordance with the WCAG 2.0 standards and guidelines. We are actively working to increase accessibility and usability of our website to everyone. If you are using a screen reader or other assistive technology and are encountering problems using this website, please contact us at 575-647-4500 or 1-800-658-9933. Please provide the location of the inaccessible information. All products and services available on this website are available at all White Sands Credit Union branch locations.